Yesterday I published “TASTE & SEE”. A piece about what I learned from contrasting the meditative solace of making this bread with the flurry of my family’s consumption of the sweet, braided loaf. This is my adaption of a recipe that I originally found on the Tastemade app.
NUTELLA BRAIDED BREAD
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup whole milk, lukewarm
- 2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- Egg Wash (1 beaten egg, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon salt)
- In a medium bowl combine yeast, sugar, and warm milk. Stir until it liquefies. Let sit for 10 minutes. Yeast mixture should get foamy.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour and salt.
- Add butter and egg to the yeast mixture.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture. Add in liquid mixture. Fold with a rubber spatula or dough scrapper until just combined and dough begins to form.
- Knead dough by hand or with a stand-mixer for 5 minutes. Dough will be smooth and sticky.
- Shape into a ball and place in an oiled bowl. Cover with a cloth towel and let dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- On a floured surface, use a floured rolling pin to roll dough into a rectangle that is approximately 15″x12″.
- Spread Nutella evenly, leaving a clean 1/2″ border around the edges. Roll up the dough from the long side. Using a sharp knife, cut the log in half lengthwise, leaving one edge uncut about a half inch.
- Gently turn exposed layers up. Twist the two long pieces into a braid, keeping the exposed layer on top. Pinch both ends and fold under the loaf.
- Transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Cover with cloth towel and let bread rest for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush the braided bread with egg wash.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until bread in golden. Test if it’s done by lightly flicking the golden bread. You should hear a thick, hollow thump.