Today is a great day. The sun is shining, the sky is a brilliant blue, and my family is getting ready to participate in Opening Ceremonies with our community little league. This is our 15th consecutive season, and probably our last. I’ve watched all three of my boys, and their friends, grow up at this field. It is one of my happy places, and where we began many family friendships with the people who became Our People.
A batch of these muffins has been a part of our Little League Opening Day traditions for a long as I can remember. I found the recipe years ago in Jessica Seinfeld’s cookbook, “Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food”, and it continues to be a family favorite. They are a great start to any active day, and freeze well to provide a good car snack or hotel breakfast on long road trips.
PEANUT BUTTER & BANANA MUFFINS
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
- 1/2 cup carrot puree (I steam some carrots in a microwave steamer and then mush them up with a muddler if it’s a small batch or puree them in my food process if it’s a large batch. You can also grate the carrots if you prefer.)
- 1/2 cup banana puree (usually 1 to 2 mashed, ripe bananas)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350. Coat 12 cup muffin tin with cooking spray or line with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix 1/2 cup of the brown sugar with the peanut butter, the carrot and banana purees, and the egg.
- Sprinkle flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt over the wet ingredients. Stir gently until just combined.
- Add the remaining half cup of brown sugar and fold over mixture once or twice. Do not fully combine second addition of brown sugar. This helps create a crunchy exterior to the muffin.
- Divide the batter among 12 muffin cups. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the tops are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.