This recipe is found in “Out of the House of Bread” by Preston Yancey, p 146.
The book is about prayer and it’s about baking bread. It guides the reader to explore nine spiritual disciplines while repeatedly making the same basic loaf of bread. Discovering the parallels of practice and patience required to master both.
In the chapter on “Feasting”, Yancey shares recipes for this sweet butter and simple strawberry preserves that are both easy to make AND absolutely delightful. Together they turned an ordinary loaf of bread into the highlight of a memorable feast.
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons toasted coconut
- Whip softened butter and honey together with an electric or stand mixer for 5 minutes, until smooth and creamy.
- Add vanilla and cinnamon, mix until combined.
- Mix in toasted coconut, whip for another two minutes.