This recipe is found in “Out of the House of Bread” by Preston Yancey, p 146.
The book is about prayer and it’s about baking bread. It guides the reader to explore nine spiritual disciplines while repeatedly making the same basic loaf of bread. Discovering the parallels of practice and patience required to master both.
In the chapter on “Feasting”, Yancey shares recipes for strawberry preserves and sweet butter that are both easy to make AND absolutely delightful. Together they turned an ordinary loaf of bread into the highlight of a memorable feast.
SIMPLE STRAWBERRY PRESERVES
- 1 pint of trimmed and quartered strawberries
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2-1/2 tablespoons of water
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, skimming the foam from time to time to remove any debris.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, occasionally stirring and skimming, until thickened and the syrupy mixture is translucent.
- Cool slightly before serving.
- Drizzle warm, or cool and spread, on a slice of fresh bread.